We’ve almost wrapped up yet another amazing year and now it’s time to reflect back on some of the remarkable trends we loved. Thanks to all the magnificent wedding blogs, magazines and expert interviews that helped us gather pictures below to represent each trend. 2010 was certainly a year to break away from tradition and create a wedding that captured the couples personalities and style!
Wedding Trends In 2010 We Loved!
1. Personalization: Couples got super creative customizing their Big Day by personalizing it with things they loved. Forget the cookie -cutter traditions, this year was all about taking your passions/hobbies and molding them into your wedding. For example inscribing the couples initials on different wedding details such as: invitations, dance floors, aisle runners, wedding cakes, and even flowers that were hung at the entrance doors of the ceremony.
2. Peacock Feathers: They were showing up everywhere and we literally mean everywhere! Everything from invitations, decor, bouquets, hair accessories, bridal clutches, and even on cakes. This trend was by far our favorite!
3. Intimate Weddings: Couples wanted a more relaxing and comfortable setting for their guests this year. Backyard weddings and even barns became staples for site locations among many couples. We also saw couples getting innovative with their ceremony setups. For example couches were used in replacement of chairs or even hay bales covered with blankets.
4. Eco-Chic: This year we saw more couples becoming eco cautious. Many would think this trend would sabatiouge a wedding from being chic however that proved to be far from the truth. As eco freindly products and elements were incorporated such as recycled paper invitations, organic flowers, the groom arriving on a bicyle, one thing became certain…Eco could be glamorous!
5. Romantic Dresses: The application of flowers and lace were prominent in wedding gowns this year. Monique Lhuillier and Vera Wang, two of our favorite designers showcased this trend in many of their bridal gown runway shows. We also saw brides opting for shorter lengths, and even noticed designers beginning to introduce gowns with color (think Gray).
6. Dessert Displays & Cupcakes: Smaller cakes surrounding by various desserts took center stage this year. We also saw a lot of cupcakes replacing the traditional wedding cake. Our favorite celeb, Carrie Underwood chose to go that route!
7. Vintage: We can’t tell you how much vintage inspired details seemed to pop up everywhere in 2010! From retro tea-length gowns, birdcage veils and vintage hair accessories to photos using typewriters as props, vintage certainly rocked this year! This elegant and classic look isn’t only eco-friendly but also affordable!
8. Brooch Bouquets: These gorgeous creations are showing up in brides hands more and more. We’re glad of it because not only are they ridiculously, you can save it forever! They are composed of miniature metal components of your choice which is great since brides are looking for a more personalized touch.
9. Paper Lanterns: These colorful balls added a modern and playful touch in weddings. Couples were hanging them from ceilings, scattered them across the grass, and even tying miniature lanterns around chairs.
10. Handmade Items: So many options were available when it came to handmade goodies this year! Etsy sellers rocked their marvelous talent showcasing oodles of goodies for couples. There are almost too many things to name but some examples we loved were the fabulous ring bearer pillow, amazing hair pieces, and one of our favorites the personalized hanger as seen below.
11. Colorful Shoes: This one delighted us! As much as we love shoes it was nice to see brides opting for more vibriant and fun heels. It sure did make photos pretty!
12. Black and White Stripes: Forget Damask couples were choose the clean black and white stripes as their pattern of chose. The great thing is this color combination paired well with bright colors which were prevalent in many weddings.
13. Chandeliers: Talk about adding glamour, chandeliers were showing up everywhere from ceilings, invitations, and even wedding cakes! Some couples chose clear sparkly ones while others wanted colorful bold ones. We even saw flowers adorned from them in many weddings.
14. Paper Decor: Handmade paper décor was everywhere this year, whether it was paper flowers serving as a whimsical ceremony arch or bouquets made from paper, the trend was hot!
15. Navy: This was certainly the new neutral this year in wedding colors. It was showing up in bridesmaids dresses, invitations and even people were requesting navy calligraphy ink constantly.
16. Unique Place Card Display: It was so fun to see couples displaying place cards in ways never imaginable and using creative ideas that tailored to their personality.
We really enjoyed seeing all the amazing weddings this year and hope you enjoyed some of our favorite trends. It will be exciting to see what 2011 has in store.
Happy New Year!